Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 3 cups drained chickpeas, canned (save 2 tbps of juice for addition below, plus set aside a few tbsps of chickpeas for garnish)
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, skinned, seeded, and coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)* (set aside 1 tbsp for garnish)
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp chickpea juice
- 4 to 6 tbsp lemon juice, to taste (I used 5 tbsps)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
* To Roast the Pepper
Place a fresh red pepper on the grill. Turn the grill to high heat and allow pepper to cook, rotating at 6-7 minutes, so that both sides are blackened. Remove pepper from grill and place into brown paper bag. This allows the moisture to lift the skin so that you can easily remove it.
After 5-8 minutes, remove pepper from bag and skin, seed, and chop it, and add to recipe.
In the a blender or the bowl of a food processor, place the chickpeas and red bell pepper.
On a cutting board, mash the garlic cloves with 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a smooth paste with the side of a knife, then add this to the blender/processor along with the crushed red pepper, chickpea juice, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, onion powder, and pepper and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding additional lemon juice or salt, if necessary, to taste.
Transfer to a wide shallow bowl for serving and top with chickpea and red pepper garnish, as well as, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper and paprika. Serve at room temperature, with veggies, pita bread, or pita chips for dipping.
16 servings = per serving
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 10 g
Protein: 3 g