5 healthy breakfast ideas that are quick, easy, and will have you out the door and onto your day in no time.
I try not to skip any meals, but if there is one that I can absolutely not live without, it’s breakfast. Breakfast sets the tone for my day. You can ask my wife and she will attest to the fact that I am not an agreeable person to be around if I haven’t eaten.
I’m way too demanding on my body in my fitness regimen and in my life to not at least start the day out properly fueled. If you’re like me you also don’t have the luxury of a leisurely breakfast, I need to make it happen and get out the door. In my work, I never know what’s coming next, but as long as I’m fueled with an energizing and healthy breakfast, I know I’ll be ready for anything.
Here Are 5 Healthy Breakfast Ideas For You!
Smoked Salmon Baked Eggs
- Canola cooking spray
- 4 ramekins
- 6 ounces of smoked salmon
- ½ cup of Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup of frozen chopped spinach
- Fresh nutmeg
- Large organic eggs
- Fresh dill for garnish (optional)
- Have a medium lidded saucepan with about ½ inch of water gently simmering on the stove.
- Spray the inside of ramekins with the Canola spray and line the bottoms with the pieces of the smoked salmon, reserving one piece for the garnish.
- Top the salmon with a good pinch of the gruyere, a tablespoon of the Spinach a very small amount of nutmeg, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Carefully break an egg into each ramekin, season with a small pinch of salt.
- Place the ramekins into the simmering water, cover with the lid and cook gently for about 4-5 minutes or just until the white is set.
- Garnish with the remaining smoked salmon cut into thin strips, chopped chives and chervil.
- Enjoy with whole wheat toast or simply with a spoon.
Coconut Chia Pudding
Thanks to my vegan friends, I’ve been on the chia train for quite a while, but this is the first recipe that I have really fallen in love with. It’s so simple you have to at least try it once! I’ve been inhaling this chia pudding for breakfasts, snacks and desserts. This ratio of chia to liquid produces a beautiful, rice pudding-like texture.
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, you can use agave as well
- 1 cup of low- fat coconut milk
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 4 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- smallest pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl (or large measuring cup, like I did) add the syrup and whisk in a small amount of the almond milk, to fully incorporate the sugars.
- Add everything else and whisk to fully combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at LEAST 4 hours whisking about every hour or so. The best results are overnight or making a big batch in the morning for a healthy dessert.
This easy make ahead Muesli is packed with so much flavor. Feel free to try your own combination of dried and fresh fruit. It will keep covered in in the fridge for about 3 days.
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup dried Cherries
- ¾ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup coconut flake, toasted
- 2 bananas, grated on a box grater through the large holes
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and grated on a box grater through the large holes
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 cup of kefir
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients except the Almond Milk and Kefir.
- Pour the milk and the kefir on top of the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight. 4. Serve with fresh fruit such as strawberries or blueberries.
Apple Pie Oatmeal
- ½ fuji apple, diced
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- Pinch of allspice
- 6-8 ounces of water, depending how thick you prefer
- Organic honey
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl, top with the water and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
Note: Make sure you do this in a bowl that has a little extra space at the top as the oats tend to bubble over if its too shallow.
Drink Your Breakfast
Try this energy smoothie that will keep you energized without weighing you down!
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 2 handfuls of raw collard greens
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein
- 1 scoop of glutamine, (optional)
- Add everything BUT the protein and glutamine to a blender, blend until smooth.
- Once smooth, add protein and blend just to incorporate (I do it this way because over- blending protein makes for a frothy mess).
Note: The color is not of the sexiest hues once blended, but in turn it will make you sexier! Are you cranky before breakfast too? What's one of your favorite breakfast recipe?