I give you this fantastic, road-trip friendly recipe, courtesy of the passionate-for-healthy-treats, VeggieGirl
, whose blog I adore and food pics make my mouth water just thinking of them. Enjoy!
Guest Recipe: VeggieGirl’s Banana-Fig Pistachio Muffins
**Adapted from the Banana-Date-Walnut Muffins recipe from the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen blog**
- 1.75 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup nondairy “milk” of choice, with more added to the batter as needed
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios, finely chopped
- Fig spread, for center of muffins
- Preheat oven to 400°F (240°C). Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add in the bananas, nondairy “milk,” turbinado sugar, and applesauce. Mix well.
- In the same bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, and chopped pistachios. As the mixture starts to thicken up/combine, add as much additional nondairy “milk” as you need (but not too much) so that the batter is mixable.
- Pour mixture into the 12-cup muffin tin (coated generously with nonstick cooking spray), filling each cup a little less than half-way.
Drop a dollop of fig spread into each muffin cup, and then proceed to top that with the remaining batter. Bake for about 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
(Makes 12 muffins)
To find tons of great recipes and healthy food information check out VeggieGirl’s website here