- 1/4 cup Bing cherries, fresh, halved and pit removed
- 1/4 cup (40g) steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium banana, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 tbsp (6.5g) flaxseed meal
- 1/2 sheet of a graham cracker (two small rectangles), crumbled (I use organic)
- 0.2 oz walnut pieces, toasted
Photo by Spryliving
- The night before you plan to eat the oatmeal: In a medium size pan, heat the oats, water, and salt over medium-high heat, with a lid on. Once the mixture reaches a boil, turn the burner off. Make sure to keep a close watch, because a boil over can happen very quickly (speaking from experience). You do not want to lose half of your oats all over the stove top.
- DO NOT REMOVE LID. This is very important. This keeps the moisture inside, which is going to continue to cook the oats. Leave the covered pot on the stovetop overnight.
- In the morning, remove the lid, add half of the cherries now, and give it a stir to incorporate. Turn the burner on to medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, stir in the sliced banana. Continue to stir until the banana breaks down and the mixture thickens.
- Then add the vanilla extract, almond extract, stevia, and ground flaxseed, and stir until incorporated. Pour into a serving bowl and top with the rest of the cherries, crumbled graham crackers, and the walnut pieces.