Tara Smyth, a LIVE WELL 360 subscriber, submitted this fabulous recipe. Heavy cream makes this chili smooth and rich. It also balances the heat from the peppers. Cooking with a crock-pot is great because you can throw all the ingredients into the pot before work and come home to a healthy meal.
This recipe is a spin off from the Chicken and White Bean Chili I had at the Cheesecake Factory while on hunting trip in Idaho. My husband, Eric, and I just spent two hours in the Boise, Idaho Cabala’s store and drove across the street for late lunch/early dinner. It was a perfect meal to counter the cold November weather. A week later, when we got home, this was the first dinner I prepared. I didn’t know the ingredients, just went by what my taste buds remembered, and the results were fantastic.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans or navy beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- garlic powder and ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup organic heavy cream
- Combine beans, diced tomato, peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeño, sweet chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and ground pepper into a 5 ½ quart crock-pot and stir.
- Add the chicken breast and place lid on crock pot.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. As the chicken breast cooks, it will fall apart. Before serving, break the remaining chicken breast into pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add organic heavy cream, stir and serve.
4 servings = per serving
Fat: 13 g
Carbs: 60 g
Protein: 45 g
Do you have a fantastic, healthy recipe that you would like to share on Live Well 360°? Email us
with the ingredients, directions, and any photos if you have them, for a chance to be featured.