These healthy chipotle chicken enchiladas are made with homemade sauce, added veggies (for a fajita flair), and corn tortillas. They’re full of Mexican flavor and wonderful served alongside beans or a simple salad.
(makes 8 enchiladas)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 8-10 button mushrooms, sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed*
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- small handful (4 sprigs) of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Chipotle Enchilada Sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese (we use sharp)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- green onions, chopped
- cilantro, garnish
*We boiled the chicken in the leftover chile water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat large saute pan to medium. Lightly spray with cooking oil and saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Add black beans, chicken, cilantro, 1 cup of enchilada sauce, and stir to incorporate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add mixture to corn tortilla and place enchiladas fold side down in two 9×9 glass baking dishes, or one large 9×13. Repeat for all 8 tortillas. Top with desired amount of enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese (we use about 6 oz of cheese total).
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Serve topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream, guacamole, green onion, and a sprig of cilantro.