Photo by Morning StarOur healthy lasagna recipe, made with ground turkey breast, whole wheat noodles, spinach, and cottage cheese. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 small button mushrooms stemmed and chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, excess liquid drained
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp of celery seed
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Sauce
- In a large frying pan, heat oil at medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until onion is soft. Add ground turkey breast and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Cook completely and drain off any residual fat. Reduce heat to low/simmer and add the diced tomato, crushed tomato, and tomato paste.
- Add remaining herbs and simmer for 15 minutes until flavors combine.
- 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 10 oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed**
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups (12 oz) shredded low fat mozzarella
- 12 pieces whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups sauce mixture
- 4 noodles, spaced evenly across bottom of pan
- 1/3 of the cottage cheese and spinach mixture
- 1-1/2 cups sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella
Time to Bake!
- Cover with tin foil loosely so that it doesn't touch the cheese and bake at 40 min or until bubbly.
- You may want to place the 9x13 baking dish on top of a cookie sheet, to catch any possible bubble overs so that does not end up on the bottom of your oven!
- Then uncover and cook 15 minutes longer so cheese becomes golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.