A low-carb meal that will keep you on track till summer! and avoid Pork Tenderloin.In the spirit of staying fit in the new-year, here is a low-carb meal that will keep you on track to a six-pack stomach summer! If you don’t want the bacon feel free to leave it out, but trust me it’s pretty tasty!
Braised Apples and Cabbage
- 3 slices of uncured bacon, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed cently
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 Granny Smith apples, skinned, cored and diced
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, sweat the bacon and the fennel seed until golden.
- Add the onion and cook covered until the onions are translucent, about 3 min.
- Add the apples, cabbage, pinch of salt and vinegar
- Bring to boil, reduce to a low simmer.
- Cook for 1 & 1/2 hours (or until the vinegar is nice and syrupy) stirring every 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Oregano Crusted Pork Tenderloin
Photo by MyGourmetConnection
- 1lb of pork tenderloin, trimmed of any silver-skin or sinew (tough fibrous pieces or tendons)
- 3 tablespoons of dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Cut loin in half, season liberally with salt.
- Rub a generous amount of EVOO all over to cover the loins.
- Sprinkle the oregano over the loins covering completely.
- Place the loins on the grill pan and mark evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place in an oven preferably on a wire rack over a sheet-tray, cook 10 more minutes for a beautiful medium pink color.
- Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before slicing.
- Serve alongside braised apples and cabbage.