Quinoa stuffed peppers with turkey: This recipe is great when you need a wholesome meal that will feed a big group of people fast!Healthy doesn’t have to be BORING! This quinoa stuffed peppers recipe is great when you need a wholesome meal that will feed a big group of people fast- it’s a total crowd pleaser! It’s an all in one meal loaded with vitamins, protein and healthy carbs. It’s guaranteed to keep you energized no matter what your day or night throws at you.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Turkey
- 3 red peppers, seeded and split from top to bottom, leaving the stem in tact for presentation
- Olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small zucchini, medium dice
- 1 16 oz. jar of tomatillo salsa
- 2 scallion, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- Low-fat pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 avocados, seeded and sliced
- 2 limes, quartered
Photo by Guy Fieri
- Set oven rack to the middle position, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the peppers in just enough oil to coat the outside and place them cut-side down in a casserole dish that fits them comfortably.
- Cover tightly with foil and roast 15-20 minutes until softened but still holding their shape.
- Carefully remove from the oven, set aside to cool.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a small, lidded saucepan and gently toast the quinoa over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until fragrant.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil and cook covered about 15 minutes
- Once cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Set a large skillet over a medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and start to brown the turkey breaking it into smaller pieces.
- Add the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- Once the turkey is mostly cooked but still a little pink, add the zucchini and sauté another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa, black beans and the scallions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the quinoa.
- Fill the peppers with the meat mixture and cook covered with foil for 30 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the oven, top with the cheese and return the oven uncovered, cooking until the cheese melts completely.
- Top with the avocado and the chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.