- 1/4 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup skim milk (or your favorite milk substitute)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium banana, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (Best. Vanilla. Ever.)
- 1 + 1/4 tsp + pinch of stevia
- 2 tbsp fat-free greek yogurt (I use Fage)
- 1 tbsp (6.5g) wheat germ
- 1 small shortbread cookie, crumbled
- mint leaves, as garnish (because I had some on hand)
Add strawberries and a pinch of stevia to a small bowl. Using a potato masher (or large fork), smash the strawberries until they reach a strawberry shortcake like consistency. Set aside.
In a medium size pan, heat the oats, milk, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, stir in the sliced banana.
Continue to stir, almost whipping, until the banana breaks down and the mixture thickens and becomes creamy, about another 3-4 minutes. As I have mentioned in many of my oatmeal recipes, I really like adding the banana because it adds so much volume to the oats.
In a separate small-size bowl, add the greek yogurt, 1/4 tsp of stevia, and 1/4 tsp vanilla and whip together using a hand mixer on medium-low speed. Set aside. Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract, wheat germ, and stevia, and stir until incorporated.
Pour into a serving bowl and top with the smashed strawberries, then the crumbled cookie, and finally the yogurt mixture. Garnish with the mint leaves.
1 servings = per serving
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 60 g
Protein: 15 g
Check out more recipes from my 30-Day Oatmeal Challenge