Lindsay shares her 5 healthy lunch ideas and recipes that will keep your taste buds happy.
Well, I can feel it. Warm air that is! It’s here! And you know what that means? Yep, salad season! I’m definitely a salad person. I like to think it’s because I grew up with three brothers whose idea of salad was mayo and potato. Needless to say, I’ve been obsessed with making colorful and flavorful FRESH salads since adulthood. Ha!
But I have to admit, as much as I love a good salad, I like variety even more. Having a variety keeps my taste buds happy and my body nourished. Yes, that means salad free lunches. Yes, that means one upping your sandwich. Yes, that means taking leftovers to a whole new level!
Here Are My Top Gluten Free Lunch Time Happy Meals - 5 Healthy Lunch Ideas!
1. The Perfect Protein Packed Sandwich
- 2 hard boiled egg
- 1/4 cup organic cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Black pepper and sea salt
- Dash of paprika
- Favorite bread (I used Udi’s Gluten-Freebread but I think pita would also be lovely)
- Cucumber or romaine lettuce to add crunch
- The secret ingredient- 1 tbsp. Thousand Island or French dressing – Organic Valley makes a great gluten and dairy free dressing.
- Slice up your eggs and empty out the yolk into a separate bowl. Add the cottage cheese, dressing, and remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Layer it onto your bread; add the sliced egg whites, and romaine/cucumber. DONE!
- For an extra kick, add in jalapenos.
2. Hummus Flatbread
- 1/4 cup plus water
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoons oil (I used grapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning mix (salt, black pepper, garlic, onion)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour – I actually used a combination of GF flours made from coconut flour, pumpkin powder, almond flour. But using just coconut works too!
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (I might have used a little more)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tbsp. plain hummus
- Whisk together water, eggs, oil and hummus. Then mix together flour, baking powder, half the paprika and chili powder. Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly making sure the batter is clump free.
- Heat oil on a skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, pour in batter evenly until it spread thin. Usually heats up nice and brown after 1-2 minutes, then flip to the other side. Remove and sprinkle with the rest of your smoked paprika. This made 2 flatbreads. Double the recipe to make 4 easily.
3. Love My Leftovers Noodle Wrap
This one is for the leftover king and queens! Ever make an oriental rice or Kelp noodle dish for dinner? If so, save those leftovers! Mix the leftover noodles with a little broccoli slaw, chili pepper sauce, chicken, and tahini. Then wrap it up! I use brown rice or corn tortillas for this. So tasty!
4. Loco For Cocoa Eggins
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut cream or regular cream
- 1 tbsp. 100% cocoa powder
- Optional – chili pepper for spice
- Mix all your eggs and cream in a bowl. Add in your spices and mix again. Oil up a muffin pan and spoon in your batter to each tin.
- Place in oven at 350F for 18-20minutes depending on your oven.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Sprinkle with extra cocoa if desired.
Add a side of fruit and a yogurt for a complete “breakfast” for lunch.
5. Everything I Ever Wanted Gluten-Free Bagel Sammy
This is not your average bagel sandwich, trust me!
- Everything flavor bagel (I use Udis Gluten Free)
- Laughing Cow Cheese (or regular organic cream cheese)
- Hearts of romaine lettuce
- Red pepper jelly
- Organic turkey
- Balsamic glaze
- Toast your bagel. Then spread Laughing Cow Cheese (or regular organic cream cheese) on each side. Then add in hearts of romaine lettuce, red pepper jelly, organic turkey, and balsamic glaze.
So there you have it, a few non-salad NOURISHING lunchtime remedies! Go for it, and let me know whatcha think. Do you have any healthy non-salad lunchtime favorite meals? SHARE in the comment section below!