- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 oz whole wheat pasta (I use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup zucchini puree
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella
- basil, chopped finely, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9×13 glass baking dish with coconut oil (I use a paper towel to wipe it around the bottom and sides of the dish).
- Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add salt (to flavor the pasta). Add pasta and cook until al dente. Use colander to drain water and leave pasta in colander until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground bison, onion, garlic, zucchini puree**, egg white, and parmesan cheese. Form mixture into 1/2 inch meatballs.
- In a medium size pan, heat coconut oil, and add meatballs. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes until they begin to brown. Meatballs do not need to be cooked through. (Pour off liquid, if any.) Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, and other spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour noodles into 9×13 pan, spread evenly. Add meatballs and sauce over top of noodles. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over top. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and add basil for garnish.
**To puree zucchini, boil 2 medium size zucchini (cubed) in water for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add to food processor or blender, and blend until smooth. Allow to cool.
4 servings = per serving