- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds, fresh
- 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup skim milk (or your favorite milk substitute)
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium banana, sliced into thin pieces
- 2 tbsp cranberries, dried (plus a few more as garnish)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 tbsp (6.5g) flaxseeds, ground
- 4g almond slivers
- Cut pomegranate and separate out seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium size pan, heat the oats, milk, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, stir in the sliced banana and the 2 tablespoons of cranberries.
- Continue to stir, almost whipping, until the banana breaks down and the mixture thickens and becomes creamy, about another 3-4 minutes. I add the cranberries in now so they will have a chance to plump up.
- I really like adding the banana, even though it has nothing to do with pomegranate cranberry almond oatmeal, because it adds so much volume to the oats.
- Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, stevia, and ground flaxseed, and stir until incorporated.
- Pour into a serving bowl and top with the pomegranate seeds, a few extra cranberries, and the slivered almonds.
1 servings = per serving
Fat: 8 g
Carbs: 71 g
Protein: 12 g
If you are concerned about protein content, you can always add a side of scrambled egg whites in order to bump up the protein to carbs ratio.
Check out more recipes from my 30-Day Oatmeal Challenge